Skip navigation

Resolving problems

Issues with your training?

If you’re not satisfied with the quality or delivery of your training, talk to your training provider. If you are still not satisfied, there are some other pathways you can follow to have the issue resolved.

If your training is subsidised by the government, email us now or call us on 1800 673 097.

Contact the South Australian Skills Commission

If you’re a student, apprentice or trainee, the South Australian Skills Commission can assist you through a dedicated complaint handling, mediation, advocacy and dispute resolution service. This might include things related to:

  • Complaints
  • Fees and refunds
  • Changes to your course enrolment or employment
  • Course or provider transfer
  • Your Training Plan
  • Your progress during your apprenticeship or traineeship, or any issues that may impact it
  • What you should expect under your training contract while at work
  • What you should expect while undertaking study in a nationally recognised qualification
  • What you can do if you have a concern or complaint with any aspect of your apprenticeship or traineeship.

The South Australian Skills Commission can provide confidential advice and support, and they can speak for you or negotiate on your behalf to help resolve problems.

Resolving problems with your employer

If you’re having an issue with your employer, we want to make sure you get the help you need to work through it.

First up, make sure you speak to your employer about the issue and the impact it’s having on you. A lot of the time, just having the conversation will make things better. If not, here’s what can happen next:

  1. We can chat to you about other ways to resolve the issue, and let you know what your responsibilities are under the training contract.
  2. We can meet with you and your employer to help you both discuss the issue and understand the options available under an apprenticeship.
  3. If the issue is still unresolved, you can lodge your dispute with the South Australian Employment Tribunal. They will arrange a conciliation conference with you and your employer. Most employers and apprentices come to an agreement at the conference.

If your training provider closes unexpectedly

If your training provider closes unexpectedly, the Australian Skills Quality Authority can help you get records of your completed training, change training providers, find out about your VET Student Loan and continue training under your training contract.


If you have any questions or concerns related to your wages or conditions of employment, you can find more information and support from the Fair Work Ombudsman - an independent body supporting the national workplace relations system.

The Fair Work Ombudsman is an independent statutory office which ensures compliance with the Fair Work Act 2009, awards, and registered agreements. The FWO also provides advice and education on pay rates and workplace conditions, and can be contacted by calling the Fair Work Infoline on 13 13 94 or visiting their website.